Saturday, October 4, 2008

Amsterdam

When I arrived in Amsterdam this morning the city was still sleeping, but it didn't take long for it to wake up. Even in the cold and rain, Amsterdamers (I may have made that name up) still take to the streets like it's a warm summer day; whether it be riding their bicycle or sipping a cup of coffee at a patio table. It certainly is a lifestyle I could get used too.
After a relaxing breakfast of bagel and coffee, I started my day by walking to the Waterlooplein flea market. Waterlooplein is a market not unlike any other at home - full of trinkets and second hand wears - right up my alley :)

Eating a crepe outside of Lindengracht Market

From there I walked to the Bloomenmarkt (flower market), then up to the Royal Palace and St. Nicolaaskerk, the city's main Catholic church dedicated to St Nicholas, the patron saint of seafarers. Sadly neither the palace nor the church were open for visitors, but the view itself was quite spectacular.



From the church I walked through the Red Light District. I know :) Unfortunatly it did not quite live up to the stories I have heard; although I hear it is an entirely different place after dark.

I topped the day off with a boat tour around the canal, and a hot meal and a cold beer at the Irish Pub near my hotel.

Tomorrow I am off to the Anne Frank museum and perhaps the Heineken Experience. Then it is off to Johannesburg on Monday.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment